Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Canine Alarm Clock, Part 2

The barking alarm started this morning at 5:30 AM. Wanting to allow my spouse to grab some more shut-eye, I crawled out of bed and let the alarm out the door for a quick morning visit, then returned to the recliner, hoping to let hubby sleep. Canine roused again at 6:00 AM. Repeat performance of prior visit. Again, the recliner. Amazing the noise at that time of the morning! A symphony (or was it a cacophony?) of sounds from all kinds of birds (not to mention canine). As I lay there in the recliner I could hear the screech-screech-screech-screech-screech of the Gila Woodpecker, who also joined the percussion section on the vent pipe of the roof, while claiming his territory; the chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug of the Cactus Wren; the gentle melodic song of the Rosy House Finch; the schoo-schoo-schoo of the young married Cardinal pair calling back and forth to one another from the trees; the occasional argument of several sparrows fighting over something unnecessary to be fighting over so early in the morning; the perpetual calling of the Gambel Quail, followed by his clucking to save his covey from an unseen imagined danger; and then the song of the White-Winged Dove. I fell back asleep to dream of a menagerie of animals in the back yard - kit fox, raccoons, red fox, javelina, bobcat, and even all the birds. Poor hubby, he never got back to sleep. : - (

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

I am so sorry you had to get up so early. My hubby had to be up at 5:00 AM, but I slept until 8:00 AM. Murphy never wakes me up. He waits for me. See, I've trained him well.