Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I wish we'd ______ more while you were still here...

I've just finished reading the new book by Mitch Albom, "for one more day." In case you've never read one of Mitch Albom's books, he also wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven."

They're an easy read, yet somewhat thought provoking.

With his newest book, the author is asking the question - if, for one more day, you could go back and spend a day with a person in your life who has died, who was special to you, would you do it? Could you do it? The main character in this novel is a man who has an opportunity to spend one more day with his mother.

Who doesn't desire the chance to make a wrong, right? To utter once more the words "I love you" or "I miss you" or "I'm sorry?"

What an interesting concept.

My mother died of lung cancer a month to the day I was married, when I was 23 years old. I have now lived more years without her than I lived with her - a sobering thought. I have regrets. Having your parent die when you are just out of college and haven't yet really lived leaves a whole litany of "what ifs".

I believe the whole point of the book is really to live your life in such a way as to not have regrets, but I'd still love the opportunity for one more day.

No comments: