Monday, March 15, 2010

Hackers!!!


Last night Amy told me to check my e-mail, and behold, my AOL account had been broken into, and yucky e-mails sent out from it.

They don't appear to be malicious; however, they are bothersome. The time from the first e-mail to the last one sent out was less than 2 minutes, so this was done digitally by computer. No human could copy the addresses into that many e-mails and send them out in less than 2 minutes.

Seriously, if people that spend their time and talent hacking into other people's e-mail, identity, etc., would simply devote their time and talent to worthy pursuits, I am certain we would have world peace and a cure for cancer.

The wasted potential!

In my case, I believe they used computer algorithms to determine my password and then get into my account or my address book. All my software definitions are up to date; my computer had just been scanned for threats and was then scanned again and all is clean.



So, the question remains - if they can write the complicated algorithms that allow them to do these things, why don't they use it for more worthy pursuits? (No, that is not a rhetorical question.)

I'm sure the answer is money, laziness, and the thrill of seeing if they can do it. I just think it is a waste of time, talent, potential, and probably the lack of a concerned adult in their young life that would have taught them right from wrong.

I'm glad that these didn't appear to be malicious, and perhaps it is a good wake-up call to double my password security.



I apologize if you received one of the e-mails and I hope you'll take time to check your security settings too.

No comments: